Thursday 2 June 2011

Database management by single PHP file

Yesterday I found myself in situation when I had to look for something else regarding MySQL database administration. Google search led me to something surprising. It is named "Adminer" and it exists in one single PHP file.

On it's web page, it has a detailed comparison with similar, well known tool, PhpMyAdmin which I had been using for years.

http://www.adminer.org/en/phpmyadmin/

I decided to give it a try and downloaded version "for Mysql".

Since there were no installation instructions, I just put it in my local htdocs directory. Then entered in browser address bar: localhost/adminer-3.2.2-mysql.php

And voila, login prompt.


After entering your credentials, it is straightforward to use if you have previous experience with similar tools.

I am not a power user of PhpMyAdmin, however, I see that Adminer has all features like the former tool.




Look and feel is simplistic. But you can choose some of available skins. Download css file and copy it in the same directory where you put adminer-x.x.x.php.




Do you know of something similar? Share your experience.

1 comment: